Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Checklist of required documents for US tourist (B2) visa

My parents recently attended an interview for the US tourist / visitor / B2 visa and I have prepared a list of the required documents by checking various available sources. Below is the checklist …
For Sponsor :
  • Proof of status. This is a copy of your I-797 or green card.
  • Proof of employment. This should specify how long you have been working for the employer and also your current annual salary.
  • Paystubs. Copy of four latest paystubs.
  • Tax returns. Copy of federal tax returns for all at least three previous years (state returns are not needed).
  • W2. Copy of your W2 for at least three previous years.
  • Copy of passport.
  • Birth certificate.
  • Affidavit of support (I-134). Download this form from the USCIS website and fill it. You need to submit one copy for each applicant.
  • Letter to consulate. You need to write a letter addressing the consular officer explaining why you are sponsoring the visa.
  • Invitation letter. This letter should explain why you want them here and it should also have translated version attached if the interview is not in English.
  • Letter from bank about your financial status. If you have a savings account, ask your bank to give a letter that contains the age of the account, present balance and the average balance over a month or quarter. You can request this online for some banks (Bank of America) and they will mail it to your address. For some other banks (Chase), you need to visit a branch to request it and then visit the same branch again in one or two days to collect it.
  • Bank statements. You can print them directly from your online account.
For Person Attending Interview :
  • Appointment letter
  • Visa fee receipt
  • DS 160 confirmation screen copy (DS-156 and DS-157) (Edited on May 3 2013)
  • Following documents are required if you are working
        • Employment letter
        • NOC (No Objection Certificate)
        • Leave letter
  • Passport-size photos. They need to be in 2in X 2in size and one needs to be affixed to DS-156. Carry 2 more copies with you. (Edited on May 3 2013 : Probably no longer needed)
  • Family photos. If you have dependents / son / daughter, include photos you have with them and the sponsor.
  • Property documents. If the consular officer asks you whether you will come back, you can show that you have property in your home country and will come back from USA.
If I have missed something, add it in the comments.