Tuesday, December 22, 2009

List of places to change your address when you move

I have moved to a new place recently and had to go through the usual process of changing address in all the places where I have given my address previously. From my experience, I have compiled a list of all the places where you need to submit a change of address request.
  1. United States Postal Service (USPS) : This is the first and foremost thing to do. Submit a forwarding request with the USPS so that all your mail addressed to your old address will be automatically forwarded to your new address. You can do this online or by going to your nearest post office. If you submit online, there is a $1 fee. If everyone in your household share the last name, it will be just one request. Otherwise you have to file separately for everyone.
  2. United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) - Form AR-11 : If you are not a citizen / permanent resident of US, you are required by law to file the change of address form with USCIS within 10 days. You can do it online too. Remember to file it for all the members of your family.
  3. Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) - License and Vehicle : Change the address on your driver's license and your vehicle registration. For California, go here to make the change online.
  4. Social Security Administration (SSA) : Change the address on your social security account. You can do this online.
  5. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) : File form 8822 with IRS. Download the form from this link.
  6. Banks : Change address on all your checking, savings, mortgage and credit card accounts by going to your bank's online portal.
  7. Car / Rental Insurance : Go to your insurance company website and submit the change or visit your agent.
  8. Mobile, Internet and Electricity / Gas
  9. Office, Attorney and PayCheck / HR Services : Send an email to your office HR department informing them about the change and ask them to send the paychecks to your new address. If you have any applications pending with the USCIS, inform your attorney about the address change.
  10. Hospital : If you have your address with your primary physician, call the office and give your new address.
  11. Library : If you have a membership with your local library, change the address so that you get mail at the right address.
  12. Amazon, eBay, Google CheckOut, iTunes, PayPal, Netflix and the likes : If you use any of these services or similar websites, change your address so that your packages / CDs do not go to your old address.
As you can see, most of these can be done online or through phone. So, spend a couple of hours and finish these changes to avoid the trips to your old address to ask the new tenants for your mail. They will understand if it lasts a week or two. Beyond that most people will start dumping or returning your mail to the senders.

There is one more important step. Even after all these changes and more, I'm sure there will be places where you haven't changed the address. So, if you have finished the step 1, you will receive the mail at your new address forwarded by the post office. They will have an yellow slip on top informing you that it has been forwarded. For all the mail you receive like this, make it a point to contact the sender and inform about the address change. Post office will forward your mail only for a certain period of time. So, don't forget to change the address on forwarded mail.

If you remember anything else, post it in the comments.